Five outstanding young Queenslanders were awarded scholarships in February through the Queensland Overseas Foundation (QOF) for their trade and training skills and will embark this year on travelling across the globe to learn more about their chosen field.
At a ceremony held at Parliament House (20th February), Her Excellency Ms Penelope Wensley AC, Governor of Queensland officiated and confirmed the scholarships for 2013.
The five scholarship awardees for 2013 are:
- Ms Jessica Parker – Business Services
- Ms Jessie Lucas – Commercial Cookery and Hospitality
- Mr Rhys Walsh-Tindall – Information Technology and Network Support
- Ms Richelle Hassett – Retail Baker and Pastry Chef; and
- Mr Travis Duff – Engineering Mechanical Trade (Maintenance) Fitting and/or Turning.
Age: 21 years
Vocation: Fashion Design
Phoebe completed her secondary education at Saint Ursula’s College at Toowoomba before commencing her studies at Queensland University of Technology. Last year Phoebe completed her double degree in Business (majoring in marketing) and Fine Arts in Fashion Design. She was included on the Dean’s Honour List (Business) 2010-2011, Honours List (Creative Design), Student Ambassador for the QUT Open Day and is a member of the Golden Keys Honours Society.
During her studies Phoebe gained a six months exchange study tour to Politecnico di Milamo in Milan, Italy to study fashion design. She can now speak conversational Italian which will be an asset while in Europe. Phoebe gained part time work experience during her studies as a retail assistant and more recently at City Beach Head Office where she worked as a Production Assistant.
Phoebe left Australia on the 11th January and is currently in London where she has gained an internship with Antipodium and will be assisting that Label at the forthcoming London Fashion Week.
Phoebe’s ambition is to start her career as a Fashion Buyer for a large fashion company and to ultimately start her own label or own her own store stocking Australian Designer Labels. Part time interests include playing the clarinet, drawing illustrations, painting and was a member of the Brisbane City Church at Bowen Hills where she worked in the creative department organised church events.
The Queensland Overseas Foundations scholarship program could be your passport to furthering your skills and career overseas for up to two years. Apply for the experience of a lifetime to:
- Broaden your horizon
- Develop your vocational skills to the best in the world
- Acquire international perspective on your industry
- Receive a scholarship valued up to $7000
- Have experienced business people mentor you during your scholarship.
If you have completed an apprenticeship or traineeship (Certificate III or above), or a vocational Certificate
IV or above, in the past four years and gained relevant work experience, you may be eligible.
- Have completed an apprenticeship, traineeship or vocational studies (hold a Certificate lll or above);
- Have gained at least 2 years work experience in the industry;
- Be a Queensland resident;
- Be eligible for a work visa to the country in which they wish to travel;
- Be aged between 18 and 30 years old;
- Be prepared to take up the scholarship within 12 months of it being awarded; and
- Intend to return to Queensland after their placement.
So what are you waiting for?
Download an application form. Click on the button below to start the file download.
Applications for the Queensland Overseas Foundation’s 2013 scholarships are now open. If you, or anyone you know, are a Queensland resident and have completed an apprenticeship or traineeship (Certificate III or above or a vocational Certificate IV or above) and gained work experience in the industry, you may be eligible to apply.
The scholarships, valued up to $7500, give successful applicants the opportunity to live and work overseas in a country of choice for up to two years.
- Completed an apprenticeship or traineeship in the past four years and hold a Certificate III or above or a vocational Certificate IV or above?
- Gained relevant work experience in the industry?
Are you a Queensland resident?
If so, you may be eligible…
Closing date for applications is 31 October 2013.